Agile Estimation and Planning
This course is in partnership with Mike Cohn and Mountain Goat Software. We are one of a handful of companies that has been authorized by Mountain Goat Software to provide training classes based on Mike Cohn's books and training materials.
One of the most important aspects of agile development training is estimating and planning. Yes, these are important, even for agile software development. Although agile is a fluid and iterative process, that doesn't mean that planning doesn't have a place in its programming and project management.
Despite the many worthless plans that we've all seen—which may make us want to skip planning altogether—this Agile Estimating and Planning course will demonstrate that it's possible to create accurate project plans useful for programming testing—and projecting forward from 6-9 months. Our Agile Estimating and Planning Training will teach you how to create practical, useful and reliable plans for your software development projects. If your teams view planning as something to be avoided, or your organization uses plans as something to hold against development teams, this popular estimating and planning course can help your company break both of those attitudes and cycles.
Attendees will leave with a solid understanding and experience of agile release and iteration planning. The course also looks at various approaches to estimating including unit-less points and ideal time. The class will present four specific techniques for deriving reliable estimates, including how to use the popular Planning Poker® technique and other techniques that dramatically improve a project's chances of on-time completion.
- Why Plans Go Wrong - We have been planning our work for years, yet the results are the same - over schedule and over budget. Why? We will explore reasons why our plans go wrong and what to do about it.
- Story Point Estimation - A story point is a curious thing. It is difficult to understand and measure - or is it? We will go deep on what a story point is and how to use them to create accurate schedules.
- Ideal Day Estimation - Time is constant and as a result, our days should be as well. However, sometimes we estimate in “ideal days” which imply that things are not always constant. We will discuss the positive and negative of ideal days.
- Estimation Techniques - What are the right techniques to estimate our work? Planning Poker? Analogous estimation? Triangulation? Or mayby just plain old gut feel. We will do exercises on Planning Poker, giving you a tool to use today.
- Sprint Planning - Planning our sprints can be a challenge, especially in the time allocated. Ways to run effective sprint planning meetings and techniques to decompose our tasks will be practiced.
- Release Planning - Where does the project road map come into play on an agile project? It’s all in release planning. Release planning might seem challenging, but you will learn ways to simplify it and make it easy to understand.
- Buffered Planning - We have learned to take estimates and double them, just to be safe. There are, however, better ways to do this. In this section of the course, we will look at how to build a buffer into a plan mathematically.
Who Should Attend
Who should attend this session? It’s for anyone involved in planning or estimating projects, like programmers, project managers, testers, and other members of delivery teams.This course is equally suited for managers, programmers, testers, or anyone involved in estimating or planning a software development project. Participants will return to their jobs with specific recommendations and actions they can perform to improve their current plans and projects.
Professional Development Units (PDU's)
Mitch Lacey & Associates is a PMI Registered Educational Provider (provider ID 3383). This course provides 7.5 PDU's that may be applied towards most PMI certifications, including two of the most common:
- PMP: Project Management Professional (link to PMI PMP continuing education handbook)
- ACP: Agile Certified Practitioner (link to PMI PMP continuing education handbook)
PDU records management is the responsibility of the credential holder. Please refer to the handbook for your certification to determine the credential PDU requirements.
This Course Includes
We strive to deliver the highest quality learning experience in the industry. To accomplish this, we offer the following for this course:
- Light morning breakfast, mid morning snacks and coffee, lunch, afternoon snacks and a variety of assorted beverages
- A hard copy of the course materials
Our family run business is 90% referral based, so quality is very important. We are proud to offer a no-questions-asked full money back guarantee. Simply contact us within 30 days of your training completion date for a full refund of your course registration fee, no questions asked.
Cancellations and Refund Policy
Sometimes things come up, we understand that. If you need to cancel your course, you have two options
- If the course start time is 14 days or more, you may apply your course registration fee towards another upcoming class for use within one year of the original class date. If we do not offer another course in that time, a full refund will be given minus any applicable fees.
- You may request a full refund if it is within 14 days of course start date
For cancellations that are within the 14-day start time of the course and a full refund is requested, a $200 fee will be applied to partially cover committed expenses.